Saturday, March 22, 2014

Senses: Touch

TOUCH
Statement: So in the book, "A Natural History of the Senses", I automatically turned to the section on touch first. "Touch" is such an important sense in my life, because personally many of my coping skills involve the sense of touch. When I originally heard about this project I really wanted to overwhelm the site with different textures, but then I read the section on pain in the chapter and became fascinated with the idea of pain being subjective and it changed my idea. So, essentially what I did was combine "soothing" soft textures (the feathers) with the "painful" tacs in a "safe" environment (bubble wrap). The bubble wrap to some could also prove as soothing, or overwhelming, or just fun, or perhaps even something completely unexpected, but overall it's a "safe" texture. I wanted the tacs facing point out from the wall so that the viewer could inflict pain upon themselves if they so chose. (Also just the very sight reminded some of pain.) I think overall it was a big play on pleasure and pain. Also, I tried to keep the set up all white/clear so to avoid adding as much visual stimulation as possible. 






Research:

(Some of my original ideas came from coping techniques, such as "grounding". But also a personal one for me to calm down to touch things. I have different textures around CONSTANTLY to keep myself calm, such as a fuzzy steering wheel, or a rubber duck on my key chain.)




PERFECT! How you sense pain!
(it's interesting) 
"The end result is that you feel a sensation of pain in your finger, think ‘Ouch! What was that?’ or something similar, and react emotionally to the pain; e.g. you feel annoyed or irritated.
However, you will probably have reacted involuntarily even before you were consciously aware of the injury. In sudden strong pain like that generated by pricking your finger, a reflex response occurs within the spinal cord. Motor neurones are activated and the muscles of your arm contract, moving your hand away from the sharp object. This occurs in a fraction of a second — before the signal has been relayed on to the brain — so you will have pulled your arm away before even becoming conscious of the pain."
A little off topic of touch, but goes into the whole pleasure and pain deal that I was interested in.

Also I'm not going to post all of the research on BDSM here, but here is the basic Wikipedia definition of it:
(again, the pleasure and pain aspect was really interesting to me)


No comments:

Post a Comment